Saturday, July 27, 2013

.menu planning. chicken parm, blueberry muffins, cheesy noodles, chocolate chip cheesecake bars

So I had written a post last week about wanting/needing to menu plan as this is easier, more time efficient and I hate getting home during the summer and not having a clue what I am making for supper...so now finally half-way through my summer hours, I finally did have a plan for the week.  And while there are things that come up on short notice, at least I had a plan and then if I don't need all of the recipes, I am just a little bit ahead for the next week, right?!

Monday:

I tried out a recipe I found on Pinterest (an addition of mine!) and this recipe was a Pinterest success!  Chicken Parmesan Casserole - I made a few changes to the recipe I found  here!  This smells so delicious and tastes so good as well. 

My recipe for Chicken Parmesan Casserole:

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Garlic Powder
2-1/2 pounds of chicken breasts, uncooked
1 jar (24 - 26 oz.) marinara sauce
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 (5 oz. bag) croutons, any flavor
Linguine
 
Pour olive oil in the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish, then sprinkle in garlic powder.  Cube the chicken and place in the baking dish. Pour the marinara sauce on top of the chicken. Sprinkle on 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese.  Spread croutons on top of the cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese on top of the croutons. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
While this is baking, cook linguine.  Serve with the casserole.

Suggestions: Serve this with garlic bread, salad, raw veggies and dip.

Tuesday:

I made a Cheesy Noodle Casserole, a Taste of Home recipe.   You can find the recipe here!   This recipe makes 2 casseroles, each in a 2-quart baking dish.  I did a 1/2 of the recipe, very easy to do. This is a different take from "traditional" mac and cheese.  This recipe calls for Velveeta cheese, which I did not have and I used a mozzarella and cheddar blend, and it was delicious!  Honestly, I think this recipe would be good with any kind of shredded cheese you'd like to use.


Wednesday:

Leftovers, love having leftovers!  And it was leftovers of both the Chicken Parmesan Casserole and the Cheesy Noodle Casserole.  I did make a few sides to go along with them though.  One being Blueberry Cream Muffins, this is a recipe that I have to make every summer when it is blueberry season, they are that good!  This is a contest winning recipe published in County magazine back in the early 90's and once you make them you will see why they are contest winners!  You can also find this recipe on the Taste of Home site : /Blueberry-Cream-Muffins




My kids love fruit, so mixed together a bunch of fruit for a fruit salad - used what I had: nectarines, bananas, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, kiwis and apples - they devoured it.
 
Thursday:
Had a little church softball team get-together this night. 
So into the crockpot went a large bag of frozen meatballs and a couple of jars of marinara sauce. Set out rolls, Parmesan cheese and Mozzarella cheese to serve with the meatballs, delicious.  When you can get meatballs on sale, stock up, it is worth it, believe me! Easy, convenient, cheaper and leaves time to make other goodies. 

Speaking of other goodies...I tried out a new recipe and they were declared a success, but really just by the name alone I was guessing they would be: Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars.  This is a contest winning recipe originally published in Country Woman in 2001 and can be found once again on the Taste of Home website: Chocolate-Chip-Cheesecake-Bars.  They look a bit involved and time consuming, but they aren't, it is a pretty quick and easy recipe!

Friday:
Leftovers. :)

Saturday:
Well today is a stay at home, pajama wearing kind-of a day, yay!!!!  So I'm thinking breakfast for supper. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment