Sunday, September 9, 2012

Raspberries

My daughter has been enjoying eating raspberries that my dad has been picking out of my parents' raspberry patch each day.  I love this time of year...the weather is changing, the air is getting crisper, the in season veggies and fruits.  I remember going out and picking (and eating!) the raspberries straight from the bushes.  My mom always makes raspberry bars each fall and they are the BEST!  So, I thought I would share and hopefully you enjoy them as much as I do! :)  My mom has been making this recipes for years as it was originally published in the August/September 2007 issue of County Woman magazine.

Raspberry Patch Crumb Bars

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries (do not thaw beforehand if you are using frozen ones)

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs and extract. Press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
  • In a large bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar; add berries and gently toss. Spoon over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
  • Bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment