Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Book Review - "Dreams That Won't Let Go"

I was drawn into this novel on the very first page! At first when I received this book, "Dreams That Won't Let Go" by Stacy Hawkins Adam, I was hesitant to start reading it as it is the third book in the "Jubilant Soul" series and I have not read the first two books in this series. However, once I started reading and got into the story I did not want to put it down! I am however going to find the first two books and read them just because I enjoyed this book, the Burns family and want to learn more of their story.
In this third book, Indigo is in the midst of planning her wedding and make life-changing decisions about her future. At the same time her prodigal brother Reuben returns to town, this would be fine except he is not explaining his long absence and all the attention is poured upon Reuben and his family while Indigo is feeling pushed to the side. Yasmin, their younger sister, is struggling with what she wants out of life as she turns 18 and ultimately breaks her family's heart and causes worry. With the support of a great friends(Max, Shelby and Pastor Taylor) along with extended family (Melba and Rachelle), the family is able to work through past issues and find some peace and repair relationships.
Adams' writing style is very easy to get into and follow, it just flows well. I felt as if I was in the novel with the characters. The characters and their relationships with each other are very well developed and realistic. This is a true extended family who is is involved in each others' lives, however still harbor bitter feelings and jealousy toward other family members. Adams does not create an unrealistic "everything is perfect" family by any means. The heartaches and feelings of hurt will draw you in and you will be empathizing with Indigo, Reuben, Peyton, Mama, Daddy and Max all throughout the book, as well as rejoicing when they have "breakthrough moments." Overall, a wonderful book that I would recommend to any fiction reader!

“Available January 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

No comments:

Post a Comment