Tuesday, September 18, 2018

"A Christmas by the Sea"

Image result for a christmas by the sea melody carlson

Every year at this time I look forward to the new Christmas novella from Melody Carlson and I have never been disappointed, this year is no different!  First of all, the cover is gorgeous and the title intrigued me before I even read the blurb about the novella.  As soon as I started reading I knew how I wanted the story to end, how I hoped it would end and lucky for me it did, but it also had so much more than I thought as the story unfolded. 
Wendy is taking a trip to Maine with her son Jackson to check out the condition of the family cottage that was left to her.  However, her perspective of the trip varies greatly from Jackson's as Jackson sees it as a fresh start for them while Wendy sees this cottage as a way for her to survive.  Wendy plans to make needed repairs and sell the cottage as quick as she can in order to pay off the medical bills from her late husband's treatments and care and be able to get back to work and their life.  However, Wendy is not prepared for the condition of the home, the excitement and contentment she sees in Jackson when they arrive or the memories that surface for her.  As Wendy works on the home and receives help along with friendship from others around her, she begins to struggle as to what will be best for her and Jackson and if it can match with the responsible choice she needs to make as the responsible adult and mother. 
Melody packs so much into this novella!  I loved the story and seeing the changes in Wendy and Jackson and how the environment contributed to these differences.  Thanksgiving spent as Caleb's guests was such a sweet time and I loved the images that were created from this.  Another scene is particular I liked was Jackson bringing in the Christmas tree.  I loved the relationships that were being built and seeing the changes taking place.  I highly recommend this "feel-good" read!

*Thanks to the Revell Reads Blogger Review Program for the complimentary copy of this book.*

No comments:

Post a Comment