Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Book Review - "Almost Amish"

"Almost Amish" is the first novel I have read by Kathryn Cushman and this will not be my last!  I loved this book!  Julie has a good life, but she feels as if she is not really accomplishing anything and she feels like she cannot take life as it is anymore.  Susan is desperate to prove that she can be successful and make it on her own with her daughter since her husband chose to have another life.  This includes being a part of a reality television series as this is the thing that is needed to launch her cookbook.  Susan, Julie and their children leave their comfortable, busy and stress filled lives in California for a summer in Tennessee living "almost Amish;" is this life really  more simple? 
I loved the whole idea of this story - modern, busy families, normal families taking a break from real life to prove a point, but really they each end up learning about themselves and others.  The characters are so real and well-developed in this book as well.  The relationships between the mothers and their children, especially Susan and Angie is very real as well and the characters and emotions are really brought to live.  Gary is a lovable character and I enjoyed reading about him and the role that he plays throughout the story.  This is a quick read that pulls you right into the story; however it is also thought-provoking and even now after finishing the book, I'm still thinking about it and my own life. 
 
*I recieved a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for a honest review.*
I

No comments:

Post a Comment